These handouts are contained as links in the journey. Several are excerpts from the ‘Coping with depression during pregnancy and following the birth: A cognitive behaviour therapy-based self-management guide for women’ (BC Reproductive Mental Health Program).
About Postpartum (Perinatal) Depression
- Baby blues and postpartum depression
- Depression during pregnancy
- Risk factors for perinatal depression
- Challenges and changes during pregnancy or following the birth
- Talking to your doctor about your symptoms
- Obsessive or Intrusive Thoughts
Screening for Postpartum (Perinatal) Depression
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS)
Health professionals can download the EPDS in multiple languages at www.perinatalservicesbc.ca .
- Postpartum depression and anxiety: a self-help guide for mothers.
Self Help Guide – Publications and Resources
- Coping with depression during pregnancy and following the birth: A cognitive behaviour therapy-based self-management guide for women.
- Coping with anxiety during pregnancy and following the birth
- Taking care of yourself
- What helps?
- Suggestions for getting better
- Asking for help from others
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Multiple dimensions of postpartum depression
- CBT model of depression
- Understanding the connection between symptoms
- Thinking traps
Treatment for Post Partum (Perinatal) Depression
- Treatment options
- Anti-depressant medications
- Stories from women about decisions related to medications
- Services (Vancouver Coastal Health)
Partners and Postpartum Depression
Relapse Prevention and Management
There are many excellent websites on perinatal depression. Some of the websites listed below are BC websites, some Canadian sites and some from other countries. All have helpful information.
Websites for women & partners
Websites for new fathers
New Dad Manual (24-hour cribside assistance for new fathers).
Postpartum Men (for new fathers with concerns about depression, anxiety or other problems with mood; includes an on-line forum).
Postpartum Dads (guidance for partners and families supporting a woman through postpartum depression).
NEXT The Journey - Introduction