Where moms can go for (professional) help

iStock_000013242567smThe first step in getting help is talking to your healthcare provider. It may be helpful to complete the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) and take it with you to your appointment.  Your family doctor or midwife will talk to you about what treatment may work the best for you. There are a number of different ways to treat depression:


For some women, counselling works well. You may find that a Registered Psychologist or a Registered Clinical Counsellor will help talk through your experiences and feelings.


You and your doctor may decide that medication is right for you. Not all medications work for all people, but your doctor can keep searching until you find one that works for you. Your doctor may also give you a referral to see a psychiatrist, who can prescribe medication along with providing psychological help.

Telephone support and support groups

Pacific Post Partum Support Society offers a variety of services, including telephone support anywhere and in-person support groups in BC’s Lower Mainland.  If you need help, please give us a call at 604.255.7999 or 855.255.7999 (toll-free).

If you live outside of BC’s Lower Mainland, your local public health nurse, family place or community centre may also know of support groups for moms with PPD/A in your area. There may also be online groups available.  Click here for information on PPPSS’s support groups.